Another random thought: Sometimes, a little sexism is okay with me!






This is regarding me, and me alone. Whatever you want to do with your life, I support your right to do it regardless of whether it's a stereotypical man-thing, or stereotypical woman-thing.

Just now, while on my way to pick up my daughter from school, I drove past some road construction workers. I thought, "What a miserable job! It is too damned hot for all that!" Then, there were the guys working on the power lines. Again, miserable job. I understand that, while men hold the majority of these jobs, women do these jobs as well! What I don't understand is..why? Why would ANYONE want to work in a profession that requires subjecting oneself to extreme weather?? I know people don't always us choose it, it's necessary. I'm referring specifically to those that are wanting to ensure that they have the right to burst into flames while working on a power line. Right now, I'm sitting in the pick-up line, air conditioner on, trying to type this before I melt. People want to work hard, doing manual labor in this stuff?

You know what other stereotypical man things I don't like doing? Taking out the trash. Killing bugs (I've blogged about these twice now, I really hate them!). I even try to push the "but driving is the MAN's job" on to my husband sometimes. That never works..instead, the non-driver is the one that makes it to the liquor cabinet first. This is why women should always go first in things, too..like ordering at restaurants first. "I'll have a margarita on the rocks..double. Oh, by the way, husband, you are driving home tonight, right?"

Anyway, back on track..plumbing--another male dominated field. I'd like to meet the woman that complains about losing out on that job to a man. I'd shake her and ask, "Woman! What is wrong with you?! Have you ever smelled SHIT?!" I can use a plunger when my children have had too much milk or tossed a toy in the toilet, but that's MY toilet. Others' toilets? Um, gross.





I dream of a day where washing dishes is "a MAN's job!"

Another thing..I like being prettied up and dressing like a typical female. I'm not trying to be a man. Facial hair is going to be enough of a bitch when I get older, I'm sure--considering my black hair and all.

I guess what I'm saying is..I don't fight for the right to stab my eyes out of my head or slam my fingers in the car door repeatedly. I don't get how it even crosses one's mind to fight for certain rights. The day I start fighting for my right to use a urinal..is the day you can punch me in the face and call me a douchebag. Sometimes, a little sexism is okay with me!

4 Response to Another random thought: Sometimes, a little sexism is okay with me!

August 11, 2011 at 6:34 AM

Hahaha! I've never actually thought of the whole women-should-order-first-so-you-get-your-drink-and-he-has-to-drive thing but I am now. Thanks for that.

Anonymous
August 12, 2011 at 8:07 AM

My best friend is a cement finisher. She's always been more of a tomboy so this made sense to us, but it wasn't about being like a guy or trying to be equal with the men, she just wanted the $20+ per hour pay the union offered (and her brother easily got her in). Now she has a boyfriend who is also a cement finisher who is trying to push her out of cement finishing and into a "girlier" job that will probably pay half as much. Why? Because he hates when the men on the job eye her up. Bullshit.

August 12, 2011 at 2:58 PM

I hope it didnt sound as though I am truly okay with a little sexism. I get that people do things for the money & was really only referring to a select group of hard, manual, out-in-500-degree-weather jobs. My only point was that I didn't get why someone would want to do certain jobs. I am also a little happy that, when I do have to get a job, no one would EXPECT me to consider construction or plumbing! Again, I hope the tone didn't imply that I was actually, seriously okay with it!

August 15, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Hi there! I am returning the visit from my blog, The Domesticated Diva.
I think you made your point here without being offensive. :) I normally use the term "traditional" when I talk about my preferences as far as men's job vs. women's job. My hubby thinks that it's the "man's job" to drive, so I guess I've lucked out. :)
Following you back. :)

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009
Undomesticated Housewife
All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Blogspot Templates Theme By- WooThemes